Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved. - Helen Keller

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Random Info I Find Interesting...

Picture sitting back in your favorite easy chair, listening to your weekly radio show and just enjoying life when your hear a news broadcast come on stating that the earth was being invaded by aliens! The fear that would overwhelm you as you heard such an official alert, gathering your children and hurrying them off into the relative safety of the cellar. The horror of boarding up your home, knowing that mere nails would not hold out such a creature as the terrified man on the radio described...knowing that your world, the place you have always called home and found refuge in, was no longer yours alone, but now shared with a strange and dangerous species...

This actually happened to millions of people on Oct. 30, 1938 when the Orson Welles preformed an adaptation of "The War of the Worlds" over the radio in such a way that those listening believed that aliens were really taking over the planet. It was rewritten by Mr. Welles so it would sound like a new broadcast and the sound effects coming across the radio convinced millions to run and hide or leave their homes.

I just thought I would share this tidbit of info, I love this kind of stuff, though it kind of gives me the creeps, that was done on the radio with only sound effects, now we have imagery that easily equates the real thing...

How do you think you would react, or would have reacted back in the day, had you heard the broadcast?...

5 comments:

MrRyanO said...

I'm not embarrassed to say that I would poop my pants.

LOL

Scarlett said...

LoL!

I think I would be in need of clean panties myself after something like that, then I would have to and exterminate the jerk that caused such a mess!

Chalice said...

I really wish I could have been around when that aired on the radio! That would have been way too cool!!!

Happy Halloween Red!!

Jay said...

Greatest Halloween prank of all time!

I would have pooped my drawers too. If I wore any. LOL ;-)

Aunt Jackie said...

Very cool indeed...

Just popping by to wish you Happy Halloween!

Content Warning:

PARENTS: BE WARNED: This blog is run by an ADULT and I CANNOT guarantee that every post will be suitable for children under the age of 18.

My Player